Ohio Cat conducts its operations through three divisions: the Equipment Division, Power Systems Division, and Ohio Ag Equipment. The company sells rental equipment through ten Cat Rental Store locations. Their Complete Hydraulic Service location re-manufactures and repairs all makes of hydraulic and machining components at its Hydraulics Division in Bolivar, Ohio. In addition, online support is provided for parts sales online through Parts.Cats.Com.
The History of Ohio Cat
The company’s origin dates back to 1945, initially headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. providing Caterpillar products throughout 66 of Ohio’s 88 counties. In 1946, the company was incorporated, and the headquarters were relocated to Cleveland. Following post-war growth and infrastructure development, the business grew rapidly, adding numerous employees and locations throughout Ohio. In 1961, the founding owners retired and Caterpillar reorganized the company’s territory by reducing the number of counties from 66 to 25 in Eastern Ohio. At that time, Thomas H. Taylor, Sr. and his son, Thomas H. Machinery Co. (now Ohio CAT), and for the next 42 years the company operated only in Eastern Ohio.
In 1988, Ken Taylor joined Ohio Machinery Co. as the third generation of the Taylor family to own and run the business. Ken learned the business while working in parts and service, sales finance, machine sales, and product support management. In 1944, Ken assumed leadership as the company President.
On April 25,2003, Ohio Machinery Co. acquired Holt Company of Ohio’s Caterpillar region in western Ohio, and became Ohio CAT. During the years since becoming Ohio CAT, with the acquisition of western Ohio, the company has positioned itself financially and organizationally to become the leader and preferred supplier in all of the markets it serves.Mr. Taylor’s firm expectation is to see this occur through exceptional sales relationships, customer services and product support efforts, together with ongoing teamwork and interdepartmental cooperation. Today, Ohio CAT is a top Caterpillar dealer, employing over 1,100 people in more than 20 locations.
The Equipment Division
The Equipment Division operates out of Ohio and northern Kentucky, serving a diversity of markets that include natural gas, coal mining, quarry and aggregates, waste, heavy/highway construction, building/general construction, manufacturing/industrial, scrap, landscaping, and forestry. The Equipment Division sells a broad array of Cat products-everything from Skid Steer Loaders and Backhoe Loaders used in general construction, to Hydraulic Excavators and Motor Graders used on highway projects, to Track Type Tractors and Wheel Loaders used in coal mining. The Equipment Division provides its customers the highest overall parts availability in the industry, and the service personnel and capabilities are second to none. The Con/Agg segment of Equipment sells, rents, and supports high quality aggregate processing equipment which is used in crushing, screening, and conveying aggregate materials. Product lines represented include products from Screen Machine Industries, Inc., IROCK Crushers LLC, and Lippmann Crushing Equipment.
The Power Systems Division
Ohio CAT’s Power Systems Division (PSD) ranks highly among PSD’s nation-wide, in sales, rentals, and profitability. The Power Systems Division focuses on Commercial Engine Sales, Truck Sales, Temperature and Control and Power Generator Rentals, Truck Engine Service and Product Support. PSD handles commercial engine sales, service and product support throughout the territory, and provides commercial engine and related product rentals primarily in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Toledo, with world-wide coverage. In the area of Temperature Control Sales and Rentals, Ohio CAT is designated by Caterpillar as a “Rental Resource Dealer”, which assigns Ohio CAT the role of supporting other Cat Dealers who are growing the Temperature Control segments of their businesses. Also within the Power Systems Division, is the International Fuel Systems (IFS) business segment which is conducted out of two dedicated locations, one in Findlay and the other in Toledo. Ohio CAT acquired IFS from Caterpillar at the beginning of 2008, and IFS focuses its sales and operations on the repair and remanufacturing of all makes of diesel fuel systems, diesel injectors, and related components.
Ohio Ag Equipment
Ohio Ag Equipment sells and supports high production Ag equipment including:
The division’s operations are conducted out of the Upper Sandusky, Washington Court House, Napoleon, and Millersburg locations.